Monday, October 6, 2008

My First Dirtbike Race

Sunday I had a race. Not a usual race not cyclocross or mountain biking but dirtbiking. It was one of the funnest races I have ever done. We got up at around 6:00 to get there at around 7:00. The race was only about 15 minutes from my house and I have wanted to do it for a while. Unfortunately I have been on vacation the past 3 years. But not this year. We set up pit area. Went to register and then just sat around until about 8:45 when I had to start getting ready for my race at 9:30.
These races are a little different instead of warming up your legs you warm up your dirt bike. I rode around for a while and went to the starting line. I went into my Class that we signed up for. But what do you know some angery parent said I had to go into another class. The only reason was that my engine was liquid cooled uing a radiater and not air cooled. So now I had to go to a class that was the best kids intri-state area. Having bikes that cost more than my moms car and going to every race in the series. So now I have to get more stickers on my helmet and bike. They are the worst thing to peel off trust me. So if you don't know your engine is off on the start. So when you hear the horn you start your bike and go. So lucky me It didn't start on the first kick with the guys already out I kicked it again and started up and went. I caught up for a little but with the leaders being amazing I was dropped within the first half lap. Dirtbike racing is alot harded then mountain biking not because of the physical part but the part of just going fast. Usually you can push and get back up to the leaders in mt. biking. Not dirtbiking, if you can't go as fast as them then your done for. I got passed a few more times by some fast kids behind me. I was really strong in the woods but lacked a little on the zig zags in the fields. It was a very demanding course with lots of turns and muddy stuff. I had alot of fun and got 4th overall not bad for my first race.

Did I say that there were only 4 people in my class.

4 comments:

Gunnar said...

Hey is that you in the video?? nice job!!

Zach said...

very cool little buddy. thats one thing that I wish I had done once upon a time, when I rode.

Kyle Miller said...

No gunnar thats not me its the start to the pros race.

cableguy46 said...

Awesome story...good job man! That sure sounds like fun..but man I'd kill myself trying to go to fast...wouldn't know when to let up, I'd judt want to go as fast as I could...loved how you threw at the bottom of the picture "only 4 in your class"
Way to go...\

Ed